April 27, 2010

Stumpy




Stumpy
2000
18 X 24
Acrylic on paper

This is one of my favorite paintings for many reasons. I completed this painting while I was in my senior year of high school. I think this painting best demonstrates the true beginning of my style as a painter. I enjoyed painting the true colors that were before me. In creating this painting, I wanted to take a symbolic piece of my high school with me. I painted the palm tree in front of my school. It represents the warm, tropical environment of my hometown-also represented by the warm-colored background. The cool colors in the palms leaves represent the melancholy feelings of leaving behind high school and starting a new beginning. The inside of the tree appears to be burning, which is the sort of feeling I had inside.

No comments: